Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rhubarb

One of my most vivid memories from childhood is eating rhubarb right from the rhubarb patch. My brothers and I loved to play in that rhubarb patch. The huge stalks became swords or wands, and the large leaves made perfect roofs for our forts.
I only have one little plant at my house. But it was important to me to introduce my girls to the taste of it. They balked at the idea of eating this weed-looking plant, I told them- "Whatever you do- don't eat the leaves- they are poisonous." Of course they were fascinated by rhubarb then.(suckers)
My favorite way to eat it is raw- I love the tartness of it. The girls will eat anything with massive amounts of sugar in it. Since I'm not good making pies, I love making this quick and easy crumble recipe. The girls are hooked now!
Rhubarb Crisp

2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, melted
9 cups chopped rhubarb
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups water
2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, flour and butter. Put half of the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Place rhubarb over top of mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon.
In a medium saucepan, cook water, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla over medium heat until thick; let cool slightly. Pour over rhubarb and sprinkle remaining oat and flour mixture on top. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I love rhubarb, esp. rhubarb pie (though I'm no good at making pie, either)! I love that tart flavor.

    Growing up in Ohio, seemed like everybody had a rhubarb patch, but down here in VA, you can only find it at the grocery store, and not often then. Maybe I'll try and track some down and make a crisp--thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete