Monday, May 18, 2009

Hillbilly Cucumbers

The plants have been loving all the rain we've gotten this spring! The peas I planted on St. Patrick's Day have almost reached the top of their trellis. They have never grown that fast before.
Last week I planted some of the cucumbers from my seed shelf along the side fence. I use my daughter's old crib bottom as a trellis. I think it works so well, but it makes my yard look like a hillbilly's until the plants cover it up.

It's hard to see, but this is a Turk's Turban Squash I planted along with the cucumbers.


Here is a better view of the awful way the crib springs look. Maybe it's more socially acceptable now because of recycling!



Today my Iris bloomed for the first time!

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing wrong with a hillbilly garden.....you get lots of goodies from it. I know you were probably about to die from anticipation for that iris to bloom.....I couldn't wait for my first one to bloom. It is gorgeous! Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it works, it was free, and you're going to get some great veggies from it, so I say hold your head up and be proud of your rusty crib bottom! LOL!

    That iris is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your peas are doing a lot better than mine. I planted mine a week or so later than you and they have barely reached the first rung of my 3' tall trellis. I'm not expecting a great harvest. Maybe I can make a stir-fry. Maybe.

    Love the Robin's pics.

    ReplyDelete