Thursday, January 29, 2009

Haunted By Heathcliff


PBS's Masterpiece Theater aired the second part of Wuthering Heights Sunday. I was both disturbed and delighted by it at the same time. I never really cared for Emily Bronte's book, or the previous film versions. I would always think in my head "just get over it already." That's why I'm so surprised that I can't stop thinking about this version. Tom Hardy played a perfect Heathcliff... at first vulnerable then passionate, angry and finally cruel and mad.

Cathy was pretty and spirited but she came off a bit spoiled. The humble abode of Heathcliff and Cathy was so deliciously dreary bleak and barren that it really set the tone of the film.
Now I have to go back and read the book and see how it compares. Hopefully that will help me get Heathcliff out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment