Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman


The Graveyard Book

by Neil Gaiman

ages : teen

When I saw this book won the 2009 Newbery Award, I knew I wanted to read it. I read some reviews saying boys would especially love it and I had to read it even more. The problem was I don't like dark , downer story lines. I'm determined to do things out of my usual comfort zone, so I dove in.

For about the first hundred pages I was horrified. A sick feeling came into the pit of my stomach and wouldn't go away. The bleakness of the situation in the first part of the book was too much for me. But I was determined to finish this one and I was rewarded greatly for my perseverance.

A beautiful story about a boy named "Nobody" emerged. It's very touching the way he thrived among the dead spirits of the graveyard. The things that made Nobody happy were the simplest of things; snowflakes, the sound of people breathing. But that's not to say Nobody wasn't bright. His guardian Silas made sure he had a proper home school education.His adventures among the spirits are full of history lessons and touched with humor. Nobody recalls each spirit's name the way it is on their gravestone- "Doctor Trefusis (1870-1936, May He Wake To Glory)." An original, fascinating story that makes you think about blooming where you are planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment