Thursday, April 23, 2009

Signs of "The Recession" in Every Day Life

As we are entering this season of renewal, the country's economy is in need of new life as well. It has been a long hard winter for all of us collectively and I thought I'd share some changes I've noticed while going through the day.
Our local paper comes out once a week. I have noticed that the help wanted section has dwindled down to half a page. A couple of years ago it was about 5 or 6 pages long. Even seasonal work around Christmas and now summer just doesn't seem to be there.Contrast that with the dramatic rise in the foreclosure notice section, about 8 pages long.


I've come to be able to spot the difference between a foreclosure "for sale" sign and a regular one.

Some of the popular restaurants in our town are closing.

This past spring break the amount of people who went away was way down.


Use of our public library has gone way up. I can remember sometimes being one of the only people sitting in the library. Well now it is jam packed all the time. I'm happy to see it being used, it's just such a shocking increase!

These are just a few little examples. A lot of people have it much worse. We all look forward with hope that things are getting better.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, let's hope this is the bottom. I remember our paper had pages and pages of jobs - now 2 or 3.

    ReplyDelete